Outdoor Fires, Fireworks, Inspections & Reports

Looking for information on the rules for outdoor fires, fireworks, or to request a fire inspection?  Please see the tabs below.

Questions, forms or other correspondence can be emailed to Middlesex Centre Fire HQ.

Open Air Burning - Recreational and Outdoor Fires

Permits are NOT required for open air (outdoor) fires in Middlesex Centre, however, residents are required to follow the rules in the Open Air Burning By-law.

Check the quick guide for a summary of the rules for recreational and rural (open air) fires. 

A visual guide to accompany the Open Air Burning By-law

Middlesex Centre has a fireworks by-law that outlines how and when fireworks are permitted to be discharged. There are different rules for two categories of fireworks: consumer and display.

Consumer Fireworks (Low Hazard)

Fireworks that can be purchased by the general public.

You do not require a special permit to discharge this type of fireworks.

Note that consumer fireworks are only allowed on Canada Day, Victoria Day and New Year's Eve. Fireworks are also permitted in celebration of Diwali. If you wish to discharge fireworks at any other time you must apply for an exemption.

Consumer Fireworks (Low Hazard) Guide 

Display Fireworks (High Hazard)

Fireworks that can only be purchased and used by individuals holding a valid fireworks operator certificate.

You must have a valid permit issued by Middlesex Centre Fire Services to discharge display fireworks. Note that display fireworks are only allowed on Canada Day and Victoria Day. If you wish to discharge fireworks at any other time you must apply for an exemption.

Display Fireworks (High Hazard) Guide


Fire Inspection Requests & Complaints

Middlesex Centre Fire Services offers fire safety inspections on a request and a complaint basis on behalf of the municipalities of Middlesex Centre, Thames Centre and North Middlesex.

It is the municipality's responsibility to ensure fire safety inspections are conducted upon complaint, request, and as necessary to meet the mandatory requirements of the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997 (FPPA) and associated regulations.

Inspection requests can be submitted through our online submission portal below or by contacting the fire prevention officer.

Request a Fire Inspection

Complaints of a fire-specific nature can also be requested below. 

Submit a Fire Safety Complaint or Concern


When submitting a request or complaint consider the following:

  • If your matter is about an emergency situation, call 911. 
  • Fire safety inspections are not usually completed on single family homes.
  • Complaints should be limited to specific fire safety concerns such as non-compliant open air burning.


By-laws, Forms and Reports 



For Questions Contact: